Eric left early Monday morning for a 5 day hiking trip in the Uinta Mountains with my dad leaving me all alone. Krysta, his sister, and I had this brilliant idea that after her work she would come hang out with me for a couple hours since she works at the U. So at 2 pm I picked her up and we proceeded to my place where we watched several hours of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Around 6 we went to Arby's for dinner then returned to watch more Buffy. Finally, at 9:30 pm we leave the apartment so that I could take her to the Trax station.
As we walked down the path to the car I reached for the car/apartment keys and realized I did not have them...
"Uh. I don't have the keys...and I'm pretty sure I locked the apartment."
She stops and looks at me. "You don't have the keys? How are we supposed to get in? How are we supposed to do anything?"
"I will go see the superintendent! They will know what to do!" So we traveled to my superintendents apartment full of childish hope. We knocked and knocked, but they didn't answer. (Dang, they go to bed early!)
"Now what?" Krysta looked at me and I looked around the 500 court trying to decide what to do.
"Oh! The Relief Society President! She will know what to do!" So we walked to her house and knocked on her screen door. We couldn't get the screen door to open...I guess they locked it (I didn't even know it could lock!) so we could only knock on it and not their actual door.
When they didn't answer, and I knew they were there because I could see a little of them through the window and the lights were on, I tried calling her. No answer. "Maybe if I scream 'Help!' and bang on their windows they will see us!" Krysta seconded my notion and we moved around to the side. It was pitiful and creepy at the same time. Me yelping 'Help!', 'McKaye!' and banging on their windows desperately trying to get their attention. It didn't work. Those windows are basically sound-proof and the world could end or a zombie apocalypse could occur and they would never know and survive. I am pretty sure I continued to pound for 5-10 minutes before we gave up on it.
Krysta, of course, is laughing at me and the situation and telling me I would have to walk to the Trax station and go home with her...
So in my final desperate attempt I looked through my phone to find someone to call. I found a number, called it, was told to call a number and they would unlock it for me (Thanks, Jessica Lancaster!). So we called and waited about 10 minutes and this gentlemen walks up asking if we were the 'idiots' that locked themselves out of their apartment (he used a 'people' but I heard 'idiots' because I certainly felt like one). He asks for my ID and unlocks the door saying he will need to see a picture of me in the apartment to be sure. Luckily my wedding picture is on the wall so he could clearly see it was my apartment. I signed a paper and he left (apparently this happens all the time so I felt a little better).
By this time it was too late for Krysta to go home so she stayed the night! She called her parents to let them know and that is how I ended having a sleepover with Krysta. There wasn't much sleep though... She gets really chatty when she is tired. We talked until 1 am. I always wondered if it was just Eric that likes to talk while I am trying to sleep, but now I am wondering if it is a Higgins' thing...
No comments:
Post a Comment